Saturday, March 6, 2010

Athletes and our era!

This blog is a bit off topic from fitness and nutrition, but I am sure that you will find it of interest, at least I hope you do.

I am not naive when it comes to sports. Sports enhancers, cheating, gambling, drugs and sex scandals are a part of modern professional sports, and I can accept that. I am not sure how new of a trend this is. Some of the best baseball players of old were known to be hardcore alcoholics. The "Black Sox" admitted to throwing the world series for money...

Unless you live deep down under a very large rock, you have heard about the sex scandal surrounding Tiger Woods. Golf never got this much attention. Here is a question for you, what does Tiger Woods being an unfaithful husband have to do with golf? He could be sleeping with goats, but he is still the best golfer out there.

Mike Tyson is the youngest man ever to become Heavyweight Boxing champion of the world. That is a fact that cannot be changed. Another fact is that he spent time in jail for rape. Do you remember the name of the girl he raped? To be honest, I don't.

Baseball has been under the microscope since the steriod scandal broke. I am personally against steroids for myself. I have no need for them, nor do I expect that I ever will. I will be very honest though, I don't care if players decide to use steroids. I like fast pitches. I like homeruns. I am sure the owners like filling the seats and selling jerseys.

In this era of sports, I find we are more enthused with the players and what they have done wrong, as opposed to the sport. People remember Darryl Strawberry as a 5 time failure who can't get off of cocoaine and hookers. How about this... he was on pace to beat Hank Aarons homerun record until he let drugs get in the way. We remember his failure, not his accomplishments.

Pete Rose made a huge mistake, and for that, he will not be in the Hall of Fame (they may have changed that, not 100% sure). Fact remains he was one of the best hitters of all time. He is still a popular person. He even was featured in 2 Wrestlemania events.

I like sports. Most sports anyways. Hockey, Baseball, Football. I am not much of an NBA fan. I enjoy curling and volleyball. I watch Bullriding. I follow bodybuilding and rollerderby. I watch to see players I like. I have teams that I prefer. I watch for the fun and excitment of the sport.

In todays world, as in Hollywood, we are more concerned with the players lives as opposed to what they do for the sport.

Can't we just enjoy the sport for what it is anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment