Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Health vs The "Look"

I am a personal trainer. I studied the human body immensly. I have studied nutrition, sports performance, structural anatomy, basic physiology and quite a bit more. As a trainer, I see most people in the gym wanting to have either the bodybuilder look or the fitness look.

Most people don't realize that those "looks" aren't necessarily healthy. My main focus when training and eating, is to be at my health prime. I make sure that I train for the wellbeing of my inner body, knowing that when I am at my ultimate health, the "look" will follow.

I have noticed that not too many people agree with me. I find that unfortunate, although I would love your feedback on the issue.

Here is my point... when you look for the bodybuilder look, you need a very high protein diet which can be hard on the kidneys and lower intestines. You need to lift very heavy weights which can over time wear on your vertebrae and your ligaments and tendons. You are more likely to be using supplements (most of which are harmless, but the wrong mix can lead to trouble) and some may even try illegal anabolics. (on the steroid note, I do not judge, the choice is yours and only you can say what is right or wrong for you).

At the end of your serious training you may achieve the look you wanted, but it does not mean you are any healthier. This is the field of health & fitness... HEALTH & fitness!

As a trainer, I can tell you that I get greater joy from the older gentleman telling me that his cholesterol or blood pressure went down, as opposed to a client benching 4 plates. Both are incredible accomplishments, but which one will pay off more when you are in your 80s?

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment