Tuesday, December 29, 2009

You may think they are healthy, but they are not

I don't enjoy grocerie shopping. In fact, you can even say I despise it. I do have to buy groceries though, I get cranky when I am hungry. I do groceries in a bit of an odd way. First, I go to a specific fruit and veggie store to get my fruits and veggies. I do my best to buy organic, but certain items are beyond my budget.

After I get my fruits and veggies, I am off to the "big box" store. This is where I buy my bread (multi grain and flax), my milk (organic 1% and organic 2% goat milk). I buy skim cheese, fresh fish and fresh meat. 99% of my meals are cooked by me.

I have noticed lately that many people buy certain foods because of how "healthy" they are. Some of these foods are not healthy at all, and I feel the need to share these with you.

#1 - Canned fruit salad. These fruits have been frozen and dethawed so many times that by the time they reach the can there are ZERO nutrients left. Since they are in a can they are filled with preservatives. If you look, most of them are in a syrup that has loads of added sugar or even HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). The new trend is fruit salad in water and it is marked SUGAR FREE. If you check, there is artificial colours and flavours, as well as heap loads of sucralose, which many pediatricians recommend kids not consume.

#2 - Turkey or Chicken Bacon. Yes, lets give it a bit of credit, it has WAY less saturated fat (the bad fat) than regular bacon. Turkey and/or chicken bacon is still 100% processed, stuffed with fillers, preservatives, and sodium. It has very little protein compared to everything else in it, and it is not a complete protein due to all the processing.

#3 - NutraGrain Bars. Yes, they do contain 8grams of multi grains and that is a good start. They are however, very high in sugar, and they contain many simple carbs that will cause you to be hungry again quickly. For a few extra calories you are better off having a piece of multi grain toast with a fresh fruit. The fruit filling inside a nutragrain bar is filled with sugar and artificial colour and flavour.

#4 - Extra Lean Ground Beef. This is a great option for you every now and again. I am not a huge fan of red meat, but if you are going to eat it, this is the kind you should be eating. I added this to my list because many people feel that since it is extra lean there is no fat. THERE IS STILL SATURATED FAT in this option. The other point to mention is that most meat contains a version of a growth hormone, so unless you eat organic, you are getting that "make me fat" hormone that is injected in these animals.

I must say, if you are eating these foods instead of chips, french fries, corner store pepperoni and buckets of ice cream, you are on the right track. However, as you start to take better care of yourself, you will start to see the benefits of eating "real" food, and not the premade stuff.

If you have any concerns about some of the foods you are eating, or you are feeding your family, please feel free to email me at mytraineroz@gmail.com.

Eat Well,Train Hard, Be Positive!!!

2 comments:

  1. I find it truly appalling that government interest groups have hijacked the food industry.(ie: Dairy...) Your comment about buying organic being expensive is bang on, and only through information mediums such as blogs are people exposed to truth,..Good job OZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. inspired by mom and dad? this is really good and really true... a lot of foods people think are healthy are really not... you forgot to include nutella in your list.. also, i think you have to dedicate a blog entry to the importance of not peeling your fruits and veggies... so many people ask me why I tell them not to peel their fruits and veggies and when i tell them all the nutrients are in the peel they go "I didn't know that..." looking forward to the next blog entry

    ReplyDelete