Thursday, June 3, 2010

STOP counting calories

That's it!!! I have had it!!! Who has the time and patience to count calories? Why would anybody want to live that way? Same goes for Weight Watchers... why constantly worry about a point system. Point systems are for sports and statistics!

I have been down the road of counting calories, been there done that, saw little results. I have found a good balance that is easy to follow, will lead to better health, and help in your fitness results too! It is called moderation, variation, and portion control.

Previous generations never counted calories. In the 1800s, people ate when they were hungry or when food was available. It is ever since we have become obsessed with our health and weight that we have become sicker and more obese!

So what is the solution? Simple: Food. Like grandma used to make!

Breakfast and lunch should be complete meals about the size of a dinner plate. It should contain lean protein, essential fats, fibre, fruits and/or veggies and whole grains.

Supper should be smaller and be equal parts lean protein and veggies (steamed or as a salad).

Snack on fruits, vegetables and nuts between meals and drink plenty of water.

If you want to lose weight slightly lower the portion size, and be more active. If you want to gain muscle eat a few more complex carbs and more protein, and of course modify your workouts. If you want better health, stick to this plan.

I highly recommend you include the following into your meals at LEAST once a week,but the more the merrier;
Broccoli
Salmon
Steel Cut Oatmeal (organic preferably)
Onions and garlic
Maitaki and Shitaki mushrooms
colorful peppers
Spinach
Tilapia or Pangasius
Chick Peas and Lentils

That is a great start to a healthy lifestyle and you will NEVER have to worry about calories EVER again!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... sounds interesting but I'll be honest, I'm so into the counting calories that I don't find it to really be a chore for me. I tend to know what I'm eating. Also, I fear overeating any other way. Being a vegan I tend to try to keep track of my protein intake as well to ensure I'm doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the 'calorie' issue falls into the category of a person's psychology. Always being presented with mass media shoving the weight watchers formula down everyone's throat...(Food, like Grandma used to make can cause arteries to clog up! lol!!!)

    ReplyDelete